They Might Be Elders

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Off the grid.

I was looking at a way to do solar energy for cheaper than what they charge at the companies that install the systems.  To my surprise I found out just how easy it is to make your own solar panels for under $100.00.  This seems to me to be a lot less than what they charge you for a home install.  The average cost of a solar energy system is anywhere for $25,000 and up.  I only need a solar panel for recharging a 12v battery, this is so I can keep my vehicle and radio batteries charged.  I have yet to see what the total cost will be, because the solar cells I'm looking at are in lots on e-bay.  So I could get them as cheap as $5 to $50 dollars for the number I would need to make my panel.  This would also be great source of power during a power outage.  I started thinking about this for the sole purpose of having a way to have power in a emergency situation.  I know that we should be prepared for the welfare of our families.  So I'm researching this cause this would be a better power source than a generator, if I can make it cost effective in the long run and could be more portable too.  I believe we should be ready to be mobile as well as prepared to be sufficient at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment